Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 1998 23:08:20 EST
I try to find out on which places the Strombus pipus lives. My books says,
by example, not in India/Sri Lanka. Is that true? And can anybody tell me
why there is such a big part of the ocean without pipus?

Hi Alex,

Strombus pipus is a neat species - the dark aperture is so unusual - and it
does have a rather odd geographic range.  It is found in east Africa, northern
Australia, Polynesia, and the Philippines, but as I understand it (subject to
correction by others who really know) not in the Red Sea area, India, Sri
Lanka, New Zealand, Japan, Taiwan, Hawaii, or most of the Pacific Island
groups (Marianas, Solomons, Gilberts, etc.).  Why such a spotty distribution?
Beats me - maybe somebody else has a suggestion.

Paul Monfils