From:
Charles Sturm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 08:28:32 -0400
Tom,
  I have helped the Carnegie with three donations over the past several
years.  I went to one gents house, looked at the collection and stated
there was enough material of quality that we would be willing to accept it
as a donation.  The guy was interested in selling it and I told him some
of the avenues available.  A year later I received a call that if I picked
it up it was the Museum's free and clear!  The probable value of this
"priceless collection" was probably in the several hundred dollar range
(mostly common materials) and I suspect he found that out.
  The second collection was a sizable on, fill about boxes.  Several
family members saved it from being thrown out by other relatives after the
owner died.  Unfortunately, they were not in time to save the catalog.
Most of the material was numbered and sorted, however labels were
associated with only 20% of the lots.  I am currently working through the
rest to see what can be salvaged and put into the research collection as
opposed to being used for displays or educational activities.  I beautiful
collection, well maintained...a tragic outcome.
  The third collection is a Floridian fossil collection.  Good locality
data, nothing identified.  Finally finished this job last monday.  Will
type up the list and send it to the donor so it can be appraised.
  As for my collection,my wife and son ALL KNOW it goes to the Carnegie
along with my library.  I have chosen donation for two reasons.  Much of
my collection is not "pretty and flashy".  Much common material, many
collected dead, many boreing specimens...but excellent data.  It would be
ofmore interest to a museum than to the collector on the street. Also,
since much of my collection is fossil (Neogene) and much of that collected
on private land, I choose not to make money off of the good will of
people who
allowed me to collect on their land free and clear.
  To make the donation easier I have maintained my unit trays to the same
dimensions as the Carnegie's.  I have also started keeping all
documentation that relates to the collection( permits, letters of
permission to collect on private land, etc.) so that the collection can be
accessioned by the Carnegie with minimal legal hassles.
  Just my way of doing thing.  My advice, if you are thinking that you
will be donating to a public institution talk to them now and it will make
things easier later.  Also talk with you heirs about your wishes!!!!!

Charlie
Charlie Sturm, Jr
Research Associate - Section of Invertebrate Zoology
                     Carnegie Museum of Natural History, Pittsburgh, PA
Assistant Professor - Family Medicine