Sender:
From:
David Kirsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 2000 23:52:00 -0400
Speaking of ferocious rampant Rumina decollata, I'm reminded of one of my
mother's old remedy for garden slugs.

It's to put a pan of beer out overnight. They crawl in, get drunk and
drown. One night many years ago, I was out on the patio with a friend
sipping a beer with a friend. I had put my beer can down on the patio
slate, fairly far from the garden. As my friend and I were talking in the
dark, I became aware of a faint rasping sound. I turned on a light and
found that there was a slug on top of the beer can apparently sipping at
the edge of the opening. Good thing I didn't take another sip in the dark.

My mom's other method is to pour salt on the slugs, recall Dorothy spilling
water on the Wicked Witch of the North, and hear the plaintive cries, "I'm
melting, melting."

David
Durham, NC