Sender:
From:
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 23:42:41 -0600
Masashi,

I think they are talking about the original Greek meaning of the word
nerite.  Here is what I wrote about the origins of the word nerite in an
article last year.

"The name nerite seems to come from either Nereus, a god of the sea in Greek
mythology or Nereides, any one of his 50 sea nymph daughters, or his son,
Nerites, who was changed into a mussel by Aphrodite because he would not go
with her when she abandoned the sea.  In any case, it has to do with the sea
and the term neritic is applied to the shallow waters adjoining the coast --
the most common habitat for nerites."

If I remember correctly, one of the dictionaries I used for the above
information also listed "fish" as a definition of nerite.  Hope this helps,

Tom