Sender:
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 19:28:35 EDT
GOSH DARN IT, DID IT AGAIN!  I need to put a guard on that SEND button!

#1  Looks like a subadult Melongena, and the operc also looks like
Melongenidae.  Not sure what species.  Perhaps Melongena patula??

#2  Looks like a small Hyotissa hyotis L.

#3  This is a species of Arca, but can't venture a guess without seeing the
rest of the shell.

#4  Anadara sp.  Not Anadara granosa.

#5  Looks like Semicassis diuturna  Iredale

#6  Semicassis persimilis  Kira  (often considered a subspecies or form of
Semicassis bisulcata)

#7  ? not familiar with the species kobelti.

#8  Hecuba scortum L. (family Donacidae)

#9  not Latiaxis nakayasui.  Probably L. spinosus.

#10  juvenile Hippopus hippopus L.

#11  This was named "Trochus glyptus" by Watson in 1879.  I have received
specimens as "Calliostoma glyptus" also.  I don't know the right genus.  It
is not a typical Calliostoma, and certainly not a Trochus.  It's a very
pretty shell.  I don't know why none of the books include it (not even Barry
Wilson's Australian Marine Shells).

#12  The upper right specimen appears to be a typical Corculum cardissa.  The
upper right specimen looks like "Corculum impressum", and the lower one
"Corculum monstrosum".  There is considerable discussion as to which, if any,
of these various Corculum forms are actually valid species.

#13  I think your ID is correct - Calliostoma ligatum (Gould)

#15  This is one of several small Indo-Pacific Trochus species which can be
difficult to separate.  Probably either Trochus ochroleucus Gmelin or Trochus
intextus Kiener.

#16  Astraea sp., probably subadult

#17  Fusinus sp.  Close to Fusinus boettgeri  Von Maltzan

#18  Angaria nodosa (Reeve)

#19  Malleus anatinus (Gmelin)

#21  Coralliophila costularis (Lamarck)

#22  Coralliophila rubrococcinea  Melvill & Standen

Regards,
Paul M.