Sender:
Date:
Sun, 3 Sep 2000 18:02:15 +0100
7bit
From:
Eddie Clamp <[log in to unmask]>
To: Rosi Neuffer <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Rosi

First of all I am not an expert in identifying Janthina but both my wife and
I have been comparing your janthina with ours from Cyprus. Our Mediterranean
Sea Shells - Cyprus by George Tornaritis identifies two type of janthina
from the area which are:

Janthina janthina, Linne, 1758 and Janthina fragilis, Lamarck, 1822. After
close inspection I reckon the janthina we sent you are Janthina janthina and
yours that you sent us are janthina fragilis.

To confuse the matter further my Encyclopaedia of Shells by S Peter Dance
identifies three types of world-wide Janthina which are: Janthina janthina,
Linnaeus, Janthina exigua, Lamarck and Janthina globosa, Swainson. I still
reckon mine are Janthina janthina and your would be Janthina exigua. Maybe
fragilis equals exigua.

In all the package you sent me there appeared to be only one kind of
Janthina.

Many thanks. Really enjoyed trading with you. Will send you a small package
of shells again soon.

Ed