Sender:
From:
"Harry G. Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 18:45:31 -0500
Dear Andy,

Thanks for posting this news item.  Nowadays it is almost unthinkable that we
might witness a comeback in the naiad fauna.

The Purple Bankclimber (my upper case), Elliptoideus sloatianus (I. Lea, 1840),
is still common in the Flint River and Appalachicola Rivers (the same system as
the Chattahoochee) as well as the Ochlockonee River to the east.

There is a bit of information on, and image of, this species on the JSC
website; see: <http://home.sprynet.com/~wfrank/champion.htm>

Harry

At 01:29 PM 12/11/00 -0600, you wrote:

> A word of explanation: The Chattahoochee River flows through Atlanta,
> Georgia, and forms part of the border between Georgia and Alabama in the
> southeastern USA.
>
> Andrew K. Rindsberg
> Geological Survey of Alabama

Harry G. Lee
Suite 500
1801 Barrs St.
Jacksonville, FL 32204
USA   904-384-6419
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
http://home.sprynet.com/~wfrank/jacksonv.htm