Sender:
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 13:32:27 -0500
7bit
From:
helmut nisters <[log in to unmask]>
I have Julia exquisita (a small specimen of only about 3 - 5 mm) from the
Easter Islands, which belong to
Chile.
Helmut from Innsbruck

Helmut "Helix" Nisters
private:
Franz-Fischer-Str. 46
A-6020 Innsbruck / Austria / Europe
phone: 0043 / 512 / 57 32 14
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
website: www.netwing.at/nisters
office:
Natural History Department of the
Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum Innsbruck
Feldstrasse 11a
A-6020 Innsbruck / Austria / Europe
phone: 0043 / 512 / 58 72 86 - 37
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
website: www.tiroler-landesmuseum.at

----------
Dear David,
Bivalved gastropods of the genera Julia and Berthelinia are all associated
with green algae of the genus Caulerpa. In fact the shell form and colour of
both Julia and Berthelinia look like the leaves of Caulerpa.
Although the first recent species was described already in 1862, a
description of the living animal was  published only in 1959. During the
late fifties and the early sixties numerous short articles dealing with
bivalved gastropods have been published.
Julia exquisita Gould, 1862 seems to have a very large distribution. I do
not think it was already known from Sri Lanka, but it has been reported
already from nearby India.
A related species is Julia zebra Kawaguti, 1981with a bicoloured shell.