Sender:
From:
"Sylvia S. Edwards" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jun 2001 18:20:35 -0500
Having lived in Florida and consulting a doctor for treatments that he used for
stings, etc., for an article I was writing, I can offer the following:

Unseasoned Adolph Meat Tenderizer mixed with Vaseline and spread on the wound is
what the doctor uses - as a treatment, not prevention - for a jellyfish sting.

For a stingray sting, soak the affected part in water as warm as you can stand.
My husband can personally attest this works after consulting his doctor.  The
pain is excruciating, otherwise.

The best prevention, but not guaranteed, is a rubber diving suit, or even skins
help, gloves, and tennis shoes or diving booties.  Still not a guarantee.  My
husband apparently stepped on a stingray and it left a hole in the side of his
canvas tennis shoe where it went through.

SE