Sender:
From:
"Monfils, Paul" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 14:12:48 -0500
Most species of shells do not have "standard" english names, though many do
have local names.  I don't know if Tellina tenuis has a generally accepted
local name.  Hopefully some of our European members can tell us that.  Often
a common name can be derived from the scientific name.  Members of the genus
Tellina are commonly called "tellins".  "tenuis" means "thin" or "delicate".
So Tellina tenuis actually means "thin tellin" or "delicate tellin".

There are no true Conch species in that part of the world.

Regards,
Paul M.