Sender:
From:
"Kevin S. Cummings" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 11:26:26 -0600
Sorry Barbara, it sounds like Belva beat Meg to the punch.  A quote
from Dr. W.S. Strode (Nautilus May Volume 12 No. 1, 1898:8), pioneer
Illinois conchologist....

"In two hours' time we had found over fifty of the multiplicatus, one
good U. capax and one M. confragosa four inches long.  The doctor's
bird dog Belva, partook of our enthusiasm and manifested a desire to
also search for shells.  After a little showing she understood how it
was done, and it was amusing, indeed to see her with head submerged
hunting a shell and then after securing it the air of importance
assumed as she waddled ashore with it.  We hope, the coming season,
to make an expert collector of her."

I want to get me one of them "bird dogs"

Kevin

--
Kevin S. Cummings
Illinois Natural History Survey

Join the Freshwater Mollusk Conservation Society Today!
http://ellipse.inhs.uiuc.edu/fmcs/