Sender:
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 19:37:39 -0500
7bit
From:
Alan Gettleman <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
Dear Shelling Friends,
I was very sorry to have just heard of Russ Jensen's passing when Gertrude
Moller of Jacksonville told me that sad news at our Astronaut Trail Shell
Show this past weekend.  Although I rarely ran into Russ, I was always very
impressed by his smile (wry, almost impish), his friendliness and knowledge
of shells.  When I lived in the St. Louis area, I first met Russ when he
judged our St. Louis Shell Club show in 1974.  When Bill Clench at the last
minute could not judge our show because of a cataract operation, Russ
quickly agreed to fill in, and we enjoyed him so much we had him back as
judge.  I enjoyed showing Russ and Dotty the Missouri Botanical Garden, our
premier research botanical institution in St. Louis, which they enjoyed and
where they talked about their nursery business.  Russ always was so happy to
talk about being with the Delaware Museum, where he said he was able to play
with shells every day.  He said that with such boyish enthusiasm that you
knew he was very happy to be associated with the Museum.  At one program
where he was showing slides of a collecting trip in the south Pacific where
he was alone on a vast expanse of shallow coral reef, he said he felt so at
home that he collected that day "as God had intended" sans bathing attire.
When I saw him last at the Jacksonville COA, I started to reintroduce myself
as it had been several years since we talked, and he immediately remembered
me.  Shell enthusiasts are a wonderful group, and those such as Russ were
great ambassadors.  We mourn his passing.

Alan Gettleman
Merritt Island, Florida