Sender:
From:
Christa Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 May 1998 23:00:50 +0200
Dear Conch-L'ers,

as traffic here is rather low these days I thought I might come up with an
observation, which I made during my holydays in Marmaris (Turkey) two weeks ago.
I was wading through the ankle-deep water (too cold to get any deeper!),
when I detected a Conus mediterraneus who obviously (and to my great
surprise) was just eating up an Osilinus articulatus (Trochidae).
Of course, if I were a Conus I surely would prefer consuming a mollusc
instead of a worm, but all my books say, that C.mediterraneus feeds on
polychaetes.   Now I wonder what made this "gourmet" change his diet.
Anyone out there, who made a similar observation or knows of articles
dealing with this?

Christa

Christa Schmidt
Austria