Sender:
From:
Douglas Nolen Shelton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jun 1998 20:03:11 EDT
OK, I have to put in my two-cents worth on this subject and ask for help at
the same time.  I have always been very allergic to poison ivy and as a result
of many a shell outing I also have experienced many weeks of misery as a
result.  About ten years ago a friend of mine in the Coast Guard gave me a
first aid kit which contained a package of vials called poison oak/ivy
extract.  Each vial was about 1/4 dram in size.  The instructions said the
entire vial was to be mixed with 8 oz. of water and ingested at least 30
minutes prior to exposure to either poison ivy/oak.   I tried this and have
experienced fantastic results.  Over the years I have given away the remaining
vials (thought I had a personal stash, but cannot find it).   During the
course of conducting mussel surveys I have been exposed to poison ivy
countless times. At least twice I have walked through southern forests which
appeared to be carpeted with the poison ivy while wearing shorts and Teva
sandals.  Amazingly, I have not had any problem with poison ivy since I used
the extract.   The package said it was guaranteed to work only for one year.
It has been almost ten years since and it is still working.  However, not
wishing to tempt fate I have been trying to locate additional doses of this
miracle drug.  I have asked other Coast Guard friends for help who in turn
look at me as if I am crazy and say they have never heard of it.  I have asked
others in the Army and Navy and got similar results.  Can anyone help me  and
others locate more of this extract.  I am sure it will make many shellers very
happy.

Doug Shelton
Alabama Malacological Research Center
2370-G Hillcrest Road #236