Sender:
Date:
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 23:11:02 -0600
7bit
From:
Patty,

Nice nerite gallery!  Just a couple of comments:

Your illustrated Neritina chlorostoma Broderip, 1832 is actually Clithon
luctuosa (Recluz, 1841).  This is my error as I misidentified these little
shells earlier (as did Mienis).

Nerita reticulata Karsten, 1789 is in fact Nerita signata Lamarck, 1822 (as
you suggest).  The International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature
(ICZN) (opinion 1877, September 1997) officially rejected Karsten's work for
nomenclatural purposes and as such, it is unavailable.

Your image of Nerita undata Linnaeus, 1758 looks like it is actually Nerita
chamaeleon Linnaeus, 1758.  N. undata does not have the small denticles on
the parietal shield parallel to the columellar edge.  This is a chamaeleon
trait.  And if you pull an Australian N. undata to illustrate it will
probably be Nerita grayana Recluz, 1844 (small and often with nice red
coloring) or Nerita striata Burrow, 1815.  I have yet to see N. undata from
Australia - only these two misidentified.  But then, the whole N. undata
complex is a mess.  I still have bags of N. undata look-a-likes that I am
not really sure of.

Your listing of the two Vittina coromandeliana with the one as N.
coromandeliana zigzag is pretty good.  It is very clear and descriptive.

There are a couple of other minor name issues - but nothing worth worrying
about.  I have changed V. luteofasciata based on Mienis to Clithon
(Vittoclithon) luteofasciata.  In other words, it shows traits of both Vitta
and Clithon - and could really go into either genus, thus the subgenus.  I
prefer Vitta as this makes sense with other geographically constrained
genera - but for now am following Mienis.

I figure someone will write an article a couple months after the book comes
out and challenge half my stuff anyway!  Well, got the Sep issue of Amer
Conch done and will mail it tomorrow to the publisher.  What a relief!