Sender:
From:
Allen Aigen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 21:19:48 -0500
Fabien,
If they are fossils they probably are from strata equivalent to the late
Pleistocene Fort Thompson Formation, roughly 100,000 to 300,000 years
before the present.  It underlies the nearby Fort Lauderdale area, and
may not be deeply buried offshore.  There are a few species of Conus
named from this formation that can be found in Ed Petuch's 1994 Atlas of
Florida Fossil Shells.  Most would be varieties or subspecies of Recent
forms.
Allen