Sender:
From:
Roger Van Den Berghe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 16:16:17 +0800
If you want to find out if a shell is fake (doctored and skilfully painted
and coated) just put it in distilled water for a couple of days. This will
affect the painted shell. Only do this if you do not mind loose your fake
shell. Each time I got a suspicious shell from Punto Engano I applied this
and returned the shell in a less better condition to the dealer. They
usually make it a point of honor to refund.
Roger

At 11:26 PM 6/18/98 -0700, you wrote:
>I bought a bunch of terrific shells super cheap in Phuket, Thailand.
Amongst them is a nice Cypraea sakuraii which under maginfication looks very
dubious and I think is a fake.  It sure is a great fake, much better than
anything that I have seen before.  I also bought a Cypraea hirasei which
under close examination looks perfectly real, but I am understandably a bit
uncertain.  Any suggestions as to how to verify if a Cypraea is real?  You
dealers must have seen this sort of thing before; let me tell you, this
phony C. sakuraii  looks like the real thing (it is worth what I paid for it
just as a fake)!