Sender:
From:
"David Maceira F." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 11:18:24 -0400
Dear coleagues,

Yes, I'm agree with Kurt. Viana genus has a great sexual dimorphism; of
course is endemic to Cuba; more exactly from Western Cuba. It is a typical
helicinidae, it shell can be pink, light yellow, marmorate, and others.
Also as Paul said the male has a deep notch in the lip and female has a
straight notch in the lip to.

In other words, the sexual dimorphism is more typical in Vertebrata than
Invertebrata. Although thath is no signify that in Invertebrata don't
appear sexual dimorphism. The vertebrate have a inmunological system, and
histocompatibility proteins that do possible distinctive characters for
sex boths.

Of course, when the sexs are separate, in invertebrate, is possible (not
always) that it succeed.  The mayority of Streptoneurous are dioecious,
has been litle frecuently a sexual dimorphims acccentuate.

David.

On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, Kurt Auffenberg wrote:

> Dear all:  The sexual dimorphism of this species is great.  As an aside,
> the helicinid genus Viana is endemic to Cuba.
>
> Kurt
>
> At 11:53 PM 6/25/98 EDT, you wrote:
> >Also the South American land snail Viana regina - the male has a deep
> notch in
> >the lip, while the female has a straight lip.
> >
> >Paul M.

David Maceira F.
Malacologist. BIOECO.

Centro Oriental de Ecosistemas y Biodiversidad.BIOECO.
Museo de Historia Natural "Tomas Romay".
Enramadas # 601 esq. Barnada.
Santiago de Cuba. 90100.
Cuba.

E-mail: [log in to unmask]