Sender:
From:
Linda Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 2004 14:39:36 +0000
Hi, Everyone!

Donating a collection to a museum is a risky business.  On eo f our club founders donated her shells to the St. Louis Science museum - the only display was in two very small plastic domes, which were moved often and the labels were always mixed up.  Also, when some of us visited the "behind the scenes" collection, there were very few shells.  It was explained that the rest hadn't been unpacked (?).  So...Frieda Schilling donated her collection to the Chicago Field Museum, where she knew they would be used to greater advantage.

I will probably give my "bad data" shells to my daughter, who is an artist and doesn't care about data, just the artistic value of the shells.  I will probably give the rest either to some young collectors or to our club, to be dispursed by silent and oral auctions.

This is a real problem for us collectors - where to send our collections when we pass on or have to move into a facility with no room for them.

Ideas, anyone?

Cordially,
Linda