Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jul 2005 10:29:04 -0400
From:
Karen VanderVen <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Hi, JIm.

On Jul 2, 2005, at 6:34 PM, Jim Miller wrote:

>> Please send me the list.  I could be interested.
>
> He has some really nice Busycon carica eliceans! Probably as gem as
> you could ever find. There's also more than I thought, but honestly,
> not too much rare or unusual stuff. We only got through a portion of
> it today. If you want the caricas, I can put them aside for you. I
> think he'd take $10 each. Last time I saw any like this at Showcase
> Shells on Sanibel, they were selling for $25-30. Despite being
> "common" they are actually very hard to get.

Does he have any TULIPS ?   Nice bivalves ?  Am on my 'last ditch'
collecting for
my anticipated October exhibit for Phila. Shell Show.

One Carica eliceans would be nice to enhance the
two nice ones I found on Cumberland Island, Summer 1999.
  If it were freezing cold when you went there in January it was 100
degrees the day
I went.  I was advised by Charlotte to take a ton of water and
I did - and drank it all.  When I got to the beach, there was
one Eliceans sticking out of the sand - fresh dead.  In about
an hour of beach trudging, I found one more, fresh dead, in
a wash out. Those two made my day and I smiled going
back on the ferry.

>> And that's good news about the scallops !
>> I'm planning to tote a little group to Steinhatchee
>> -  we'll be there Aug. 10 - coming up the w. coast - to get a boat and
>> guide
>> and go out !  Any suggestions ?
>
> We went to Steinhatchee a couple of times and I must say that we have
> more and bigger scallops up here. How many in the group? I could
> drive the boat over. Cheaper than hiring someone. Of course, the best
> bet is to get here and we could go out into St. Joe Bay. That's where
> the best specimens are and the only place I found those lemon yellow
> irradians.

Wow, now there's a thought - if it would work !   There will be five
people
including me.  I've rented a Jeep Cherokee to take us in.
( My sister, me, and 3 shelling companions met on other trips.)
We are going on Peggy Wm's Keys trip (Aug 4-7) ending in Miami
  and then I had offered to shepherd us up the west coast to stop at
various spots I've been to before
- all the way to Steinhatchee - rent a boat and guide.
Our first day - Marco Island, Goodland.  Second day - Sanibel area.
Drive up to Cedar Key/Steinhatchee area.   Aug 10 - scallop off
Steinhatchee.
Aug 11- stop at Cedar Key on the way all the way back to Miami. (one of
the
shellers is from Miami). Aug 12- leave for home.

If we could get up to St. Joe area after that 2nd day, and the boat
would work,  could be a great thing !  Naturally we'd all chip in for
your expenses, etc.

( If you want the truth I wish I were out in St. Joe Bay off your
boat right this minute - the aborted trip for this  weekend..  But I
expect to have
my academic work done and be beyond most of the toting,
sorting, organizing, arranging, etc. etc. by that time. I have a tight
deadline for next week I'm working on.

Well, I'll just watch the DVD again ! Almost like actually being there.