Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Dec 2005 09:12:52 -0700
7bit
From:
Tom Eichhorst <[log in to unmask]>
I agree and the same system (dollars and cents, or now all too often, Euros)
applies to dealers as well as shells.  There is a "symbiotic" relationship
between dealers and collectors, both benefit the other.  Faults on either
side can isolate that individual from the system.  Attempts to "grade"
either one could easily end up with libel law suits.  On the other hand, I
have certainly purchased a fair share of shells from many different dealers,
and I have always found the experience to be a good one when I dealt with
established dealers.  When dealing with an unknown on Ebay (there are also
established dealers on Ebay) or an individual collector, I have been burned
(but I have also done okay).  This is to be expected and fits into that
"buyer beware," saying.

Established dealers are a known quantity with an expected level of service
and quality.  Dealing with an unknown comes with complications and the
possibility of getting ripped off.  Take a look at the ads in the next issue
of American Conchologist.  These are established dealers and they must be
doing something right.  If you deal with someone selling grandmas attic
collection on Ebay, then be careful.  That great deal might not be worth the
savings!

Finally, again on grading shells.  Whether we use letters with pluses and
minuses, or numbers, or a combination of these two; we are still talking
about a subjective evaluation.  As has been pointed out, with the advent of
readily available images plus the fact that most dealers include key points
along with the "F+" such as pinhole in spire or whatever, I can't remember
getting a shell that was not as described, FROM AN ESTABLISHED DEALER.  Is
this system really broke?

Tom E.