Sender:
From:
Dan Yoshimoto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Dec 2005 14:03:23 -0800
Yes,  this has been a great discussion, worthy of an award at the next COA
Conference.  Reading this, with all the reasons given for the decline in
shell clubs (The Lost Coast Shell Club, Humboldt Bay, California was
disbanded in October of this year.) I think that there is still hope for
the future, if we arte willing to instill in our young people the love for
nature.
        Here in Eureka, there is an Oceans Month program in all the
elementary schools and two of the "Ex Members" of the LCSC give talks on
shells (Biology, Taxonomy, Man's Uses of Shells) along with field trips to
several of our favorite collecting spots. (Ours, not the kids)  There are
several other speakers who give talks on Oceanography, Sea Grasses, Other
Invertebrates, etc.  All, in all there is an interest among the young.
Now, why would the Lost Coast Shell Club and Nature Discovery Volunteers
have to disband because of lack of interest among the adults?
        The University of California at Humboldt, and College of the
Redwoods have  good marine biology courses, but they do not even have a
voucher collection for the students or teachers to reference. (College of
the Redwoods gave theirs away.)  Why?  Because it has become so politically
correct not to collect live creatures, not even for science.  That being
said, adults in the area are reluctant to even pick up a shell, if it is
still moving or sliming.
        To help foster an interest in Humboldt Bay's creatures, Jeff
Robinson and I are working on a visual list of ALL the creatures and
grasses, algaes, with a main interest in Conchology.  In a month we will
put on line our first section (Mollusks, of course) and will make materials
available to the local schools.  We are hoping that this project will
foster a renewed interest in our local area.  I'll announce the website as
soon as it's up.
        Yes, we can come up with reasons for the decline but are we willing
to fight the "social monster" that is causing us such angst?
Dan

>Hi Listers:
>
>Jim and I have often done classes and talks in class rooms.   The newer
>biology books barely touch on mollusks and yet mollusks hold a vast amount
>in the animal kingdom.  Most teachers have no knowledge in this field.
>
>I have taught high school students all day going through 6 classes in a day
>to cover this subject.
>
>Getting into the classroom sure would help!     We started our daughter
>collecting and appreciating shells when she was two years old.  We even
>taught her the latin names.  We would play games with her….like taking the
>I.D. off of all the shells on a shelf and letting her put them back in the
>correct place.  She now has her collection set up in her class room as a
>biology teacher although she doesn’t have time to collect or dive any more.
>
>Our club does a children’s area at our Shell Festival giving the children a
>chance to touch shells and ask questions.
>Last year we had an inflatable submarine with a wonderful undersea slide
>presentation inside.   We only get about one exhibit entry in our children’s
>division now.  We used to get several.
>
>Parent’s have to promote the interest of shells and although we did….our
>daughter is too busy teaching and being a parent and taking care of her
>home!
>
>Jim and Bobbi Cordy
>Merritt Island, Florida
>Space Coast Shell Festival Jan. 21-22 2006
> in Melbourne
>ATSC Sponsors "It's Better In the Bahamas Shelling Trips"

>[log in to unmask] - a forum for informal discussions on molluscs
>To leave this list, click on the following web link:
>http://listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=conch-l&A=1
>Type your email address and name in the appropriate box and
>click leave the list.

Dan, Hiromi & Kuma Yoshimoto
Eureka, California
U.S.A.