Sender:
From:
Doug Stemke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2006 04:36:56 -0400
Hello all.

  I realize most people's interests here are on marine species (mine too),
however I will be traveling near the Knoxville area (actually a little to
the north) and recalling an old article from 'The Best of the Nautilus'
which noted large populations of Io fluvialis in some of the local rivers
including the Clench and Powell.  I believe Io fluvialis is on both the
Federal and State (Tenn)lists of protected species so I'm sure even empty
shells need to be left alone and I would NEVER harm a living specimen, but
it would be fascinating to at least see them in the wild as a life-list
naturalist adventure.  Does anyone have any insights to where local
populations of Io in Tennessee or Kentucky might be found?

   If you think it is appropiate to take this off list I'd certainly
understand.  I welcome your comments.