Sender:
From:
Leslie Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Sep 2006 20:08:45 GMT
Hi Carole:
Wish I could remember what books I am used to seeing the maps for this in...

However. there is no true division, whereas they both overlap greatly.
Additionally the Caribbean province continues to make it's presence know further
and further north each year.  This is in part due to the fact that development
continues to create more and more man made substrates such as jetties, rock
piles, and even man-made off shore reef.  This creates a place for Caribbean
faunal veligers to stake a claim.  Another mitigating factor is the 22 year
solar cycle.  This cycle has caused mild winters in the south that have allowed
colonial presences of Caribbean fauna to become firmly establish in new areas.
Now that we are entering to opposite phase of this cycle we should begin seeing
colder southern winters again that will push back the expansion and
establishments of some of these Caribbean species.

As we are some 15-11k years from our last ice age, we continue to thaw, however,
the cyclical conditions that normally send us back into an ice age is the
progress of civilization, and you guessed it, so-called global warming.  This
planet is in a constant state of cyclic flux, even without mans help.

Climate models put us well into an Ice Age if it were not for human factors.  As
such, we have kept the reefs from having die-offs due to progressively colder of
water and sea level drops for approaching 1k years now.

Leslie

Dear Listers,
 I know I saw a map showing where the approximate division was between the
Carolinian Province and the Caribbean Province. Can anyone point me in the right
direction to find this division?
  Thanks,
       Carole
Marshall