Sender:
From:
Simon Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 2006 16:50:05 +1100
Geoff & Henk,

Parts of Rottnest Island are certainly off limits to collecting.
I believe intertidal collecting is banned in most area's.

However there are collecting options if you can dive. Can only collect outside the marine reserve area's of course. Snorkelling may be an option in some spots... not sure.

I dived there in March 2006 and it was the best diving I have ever done anywhere in the world period!
I also saw quite a few shells on the two dives I did there (10 - 18m depth). I ended up taking 3 superb Zoila Venusta f. episema, some nice fresh dead haliotis & a lovely turbo pulcher. I left the turbo jourdini (chipped lip) & Zoila Venusta f. sorrentensis (algal flaws) plus a few other shells.

So as far as Rottnest island goes... I cannot wait to go back!

Also worth checking out the beaches Nth of Perth. I found a few fresh dead shells and loads of spirala spirala which I'd never collected before.

Regards,
Simon
Melbourne

Not to my knowledge