Sender:
From:
"Manuel J. Tenorio" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Nov 2006 07:08:50 -0500
Dear friends

This is a most intriguing question!
I am not aware of such process, unless of course is something to do with
the removal of encrustations, periostracum, etc, which may add a few
millimeters to the overall size of the shell in its natural state and
obviously disappear upon removal by the usual cleaning techniques.
Treatment with chemicals (i.e. acids) and polishing also reduce the size
of the shell. These processes are mostly used in commercial shell cleaning.
I do not believe that changes in temperature could induce any significant
or particularly noticeable change in size of a Conus shell.
Interesting, though

Manuel Jimenez Tenorio
Jerez, Cadiz
SPAIN