Sender:
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2006 17:57:32 +0200
I know that this has no relation between the coming threads so far or could
get a lesser portion of interest. But..here is my problem and questions
directed to whom it may concern:

There are several structures on male genital system, either internal or
external. External structures can be listed as penis, penial gland
(+accessory gland), penial appendix (corresponds to term penial process?),
flagellum, caecum, epiphallus; internally verge, stimulator,
spermatophore.....Sometimes i can see that additional names can also be
applied.

Couple of  minutes ago i was looking at the genital system of Pachnodidae
(syn. Cerastidae), some showing a difference in having 2 penial caecum, a
'doubled' rather primitive character acc. to literature. Generally the
second caecum sits on where flagellum is, and for the family it is said
'flagellum absent'.

Q1: What does caecum and flagellum, external protuberances in general,
stands for? Is there a general acception about their "work" and anatomical
differences?

Q2: I wonder if anyone studied the possible homological relations between
all above mentioned organs, in between or wtihin groups?

Ümit KEBAPÇI
Süleyman Demirel Üniversitesi
Fen-Edebiyat Fakültesi, Biyoloji Bölümü
Çünür, ISPARTA