Sender:
From:
Linda Mason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Sep 1998 21:14:04 EDT
Hello conch-l,
A couple of months ago I got some great help on names of some cone shells from
my collection, and now I am hoping I canm get some help with the name of a
volute shell that I can't find in any book.  The name on the label is Voluta
claydoni but many of my cones had wrong names because this is an old
collection and many of the names are outdated.  I found that out when I asked
for help.  So maybe this is also an outdated name.  If so, doesn anyone know
the correct name?  The shell is from Australia according to the label.  I
looked in a copy of Volutes by Guido T. Poppe and Yoshihior Goto, and there is
a shell in there called claydoni, but Teramachia dalli claydoni.  It has a
tall slender spire like my shell, only the rest of the shell (the body?) is
shorter than the spire, and on my shell the body is longer than the spire.
Also the claydoni in the book is black, and my shell is white, rather fragile
and has a very thin, long lip.  Also, the shell in the book has ridges on the
spire, and on miy shell the spire is smooth.  Any help will be much
appreciated.
Linda Mason