Sender:
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2007 11:34:41 +0300
Dear Bert and other Conchlers,

Hitch-hiking snails are well-known. One of the first cases was recorded by
Tomlin some 77 years ago.

Tomlin, J.R. le B., 1930. Editorial note. Lournal of Conchology, 19 (1):
26-27.

Here in Israel snails are often firmly adhered to agricultural equipment:
tractors, cottonpickers, irrigation pipes, etc., and are moved in this way
not only from one field to another, but also to other villages and regions.

In Europe more and more exotic snails are being discovered in and around
camping grounds. Here too these introductions were most probably caused by
hitch-hiking on cars, campers, or camping equipment.

Best regards,

Henk K, Mienis

" I have really had a snail hitch-hike to my house attached to the side of
my car [Helix aspersa].
So it's really a way that they can disperse themselves. It's certainly not a
very common way, however.
Has anyone else seen this occur?
Bert Bartleson
Olympia, WA. USA"