Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2007 07:59:36 -0400
8bit
Folks,

The 13th ed of the Merck Index (a compendium of some 10,000 chemicals)
lists paraffin oil and mineral oil as synonyms. We are speaking of the
same thing.

> I think we're talking about the same thing. U.S "mineral oil" is
> colorless, sold in drugstores and is used as a laxative. I am a
> little more confused now because Wikipedia claims that "paraffin oil"
> is what is called "kerosene" in the U.S., a fuel oil. Any chemists out
> there?
>
> John
>
> At 03:42 AM 8/21/2007, you wrote:
>>>Is that what we call mineral oil in the US?
>>>
>>>John
>>>Lancaster, PA

>>I don't know. Most oils have at least a trace of color, usually
>>brownish or yellowish. Paraffin has none... no matter how large a
>>volume you're looking through, it's as colorless as water... perhaps
>>moreso.
>>--
>>Andrew Grebneff
>>Dunedin
>>New Zealand
>>Fossil preparator
>>Seashell, Macintosh, VW/Toyota van nut

Regards,
Charlie
Research Associate - Section of Mollusks
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Assistant Professor - Family Medicine
Fellow-American Academy of Family Practice
Fellow-Academy of Wilderness Medicine