Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2007 20:12:47 -0500
7bit
From:
"Martin H. Eastburn" <[log in to unmask]>
Considering some buy by the ton of assorted 'this size'.
And the bulk dealer is based in the Philippines but doesn't
mention he bought a ship that had the hold filled with coral
and shell as ballast...  from Africa...

In the sense of labeling Philippines on a shell that can be found there
is far better than putting on Denver, Co.  or Atka Island, Alaska
on a shell found only on the Texas Gulf Coast.

An expert might be able to identify the shell due to a local variance,
but the layman and hobby collector might never notice.  All could
repeat identify the shell.  The expert knowing and understanding.
Bulk dealers are bulk dealers.

I myself found shells in an area of reef or atoll.  The I.D. had to be
taken from sources from North Sea, Red Sea, Texas Gulf, etc and collected
in the mid pacific.  That might be confusing to some when I state
Emon beach, Kwajalein Is., Kwajalein, MI, Micronesia, Mid-Pacific.
And the shell is only in a book written about shells of the Red Sea.
Something in reverse from the one stated found in N.Z.

Martin  Good points Leslie.

Leslie Allen Crnkovic wrote:
> In years gone by I had experience with some old Texas dealers (now long
> passed) who created the data labels on-the-spot strictly from information in
> a shell book.  If the book said Philippines that was the data, if it said
> Indo-Pacific, that was it, etc.
>
> That said, I then knew the data for any shell I might buy from them could
> be, and probably was totally bogus.  It wasn't intended as disinformation,
> it was just they way they did things with loads of shells they had with no
> data.
>
> Leslie

> click leave the list.

Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/