Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2007 08:36:27 +0200
From:
"Paolo G. Albano" <[log in to unmask]>
8bit
Sender:
Hi Franck
Be very careful with material labeled from Somalia.
When I lived in Somalia I bought Cypraea cervus and Zoila decipiens from
local dealers.
Now, I have seen some material which is clearly from the Red Sea.
Somalian dealers do not care much about locality data and most
international dealers who deal with somalian shells are sometimes unable to
check the real origin of specimens.
The difficulties in conducting any field collecting in that war torn
country from non-somalians do not allow to understand the local fauna properly.
Regards
Paolo

At 09.15 16/10/2007 +0200, you wrote:

>Recently specimens of Harpa kajiyamai from Somalia have appeared on the
>market...There probably is one in India too as there is at least one Indian
>specimen known. I have also heard about the species being  now  found in New
>Caledonia and that its specimens, as well as those from Somalia and India,
>are identical to those from the Philippines.
>For sure these population  appeared thanks to boats so comes a question:
>Should we conclude to  range extensions or simply to introductions? If
>kajiyamai specimens could take a boat heading for Martinique to eventually
>settle there could the birth of such a population really be considered as
>an extension range??? I am not at all sure of this and am interested in
>knowing what
>you, Conchlers, think...
>
>Franck Frydman

>16/10/2007 14.14