Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2007 12:43:38 +1300
From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
8bit
I found a world record Umbraculum in grunge last year. It was
collected off the west side of Oahu Hawaii by Dave Watts.

I have a huge Umbraculum from unknown locality. Anteroposterior
length 105mm. Exterior is white; interior white with central callus
pale peachy, radially lirate. I guess I could identify its broader
locality if I could use the vermetid attached, but literature on
vermetids is like adult hens' teeth. Going by Okutani 2000, this
MIGHT be Serpulorbis imbricatus (Dunker 1860), but Okutani's
specimens are adults and mine is only9mm in diameter (there is a
newly-attached protoconch nestling against it as well).

I have collected small specimens of an undescribed species from
Oligocene limestone deposits of NZ; these must have lived on the
sandy seabed among dead shells, as there were no rocky outcrops for
hundreds of meters at least at the time. These are up to 4cm in
length, very thin and have a distinct anterior pair of radial ribs.

There are few features to go by in the Recent shells... so anatomy
and DNA would be needed to validate species... which has probably
never been done.