Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2007 22:52:19 +1300
From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
8bit
>I think of eulimids as generally smooth, glossy, and roughly tear-drop shaped.
>
>The strangest eulimid I ever encountered was posted last year around
>this time: Pyramidelloides miranda (A. Adams, 1861).
>
>But this comes close: Bacula morisyuichiroi (Habe, 1968), which you
>can see at:
>http://z14.invisionfree.com/Conchologist_Forum/index.php?showforum=33&prune_day=100&sort_by=A-Z&sort_key=title&st=0
>
>(You can see the former on the same page under Eulimidae P. miranda).
>
>David Kirsh
>Durham, NC

Eulimids can hace spiral sculpture, or even cancellate.
Pyramidelloides I think is characterized by a peripheral cord forming
a blunt keel eg P. pagoda (Powell 1926) from northern NZ.

Strangest eulimid is surely Entoconcha, which is an internal
parasitic worm in holothurians. How about Thyca, with its capuliform
shell? Lotsa wierdies in this huge family.
--
Andrew Grebneff
Dunedin