Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Dec 2007 22:44:38 -0800
7bit
From:
Bert Bartleson <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Doug, the snail that you describe is almost certainly Cepaea nemoralis
(Linnaeus, 1758).  It is widely distributed in the greater Vancouver, BC
area as well as south of there in Western Washington.  It has many color
variations [yellows and oranges] and often has stripes [from one to five] on
the body of the shell.  I even have a few shells I collected not more than
two blocks from my house here in Olympia, WA. last year.  The snails are
non-native transplants from Europe and come in with plant materials quite
frequently.  Bert Bartleson