Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2007 21:02:03 +1300
From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
8bit
>Perhaps Cepaea nemoralis?  It is an introduced species from Europe, is found
>in many areas of the United States, and comes in a variety of bright colors,
>many with dark banding.

Could be C. nemoralis. I have collected this in Revelstoke. It and C.
hortensis (virtually impossible to separate on shell characters) are
both white with variable brown spiral bands; the periostracum is
smooth and varnishlike, giving a yellow cast to the shell. The
terminal varix can be either white or dark brown in both spp. The
spire is lower than in any Helix sp. Robert Forsyth (Royal Museum,
Victoria) tells me that he hasn't seen C. hortensis in BC. Of course
that doesn't mean that it doesn't occur there... Both species top-out
at about 2cm diameter.

Another possibility is the native Monadenia fidelis, which can reach
about c4cm diameter, larger than Cepaea spp. However it is largely
dark-brown with peripheral golden-tan band. It has a more depressed
spire than either Cepaea sp, and has coarse growthlines. But your
description sounds like Cepaea.
--
Andrew Grebneff
Dunedin