Sender:
From:
John Tucker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2007 16:29:37 -0600
Dear Harry,

I must admit that I was quite surprised to find the use of papillosa as the senior synonym for this species.  I looked in Snyder just really to get his take on the generic names.  I do not work with fasciolariids but am familiar with the horse conchs from encounters with many at the former Cape Canaveral shell dump.  Here large numbers of adults and juveniles were discarded alive from scallop boats.  I experimented some with them and found their bright orange flesh edible when prepared as you might abalone.  The color was somewhat off putting.

I am not certain that use of the senior synonym was nomenclaturally incorrect and generally prefer to follow the lead of the reviewer when the review is so complete.  However, a case certain can be made that the name gigantea is by far the most widely used name.  In fact, is not the horse conch, Pleuroploca gigantea, the state shell of Florida?  I am certain that 50 previous uses of gigantea could be found but few for papillosa.  In fact the Malacolog site states that : "Comments: Non d'Orbigny, 1842; junior synonym of Pleuroploca papillosa Sowerby I, 1825; an application to the ICZN is necessary to conserve the well-known name Pleuroploca gigantea."  I would hesitate to make the case myself to ICZN because I have not seen all the relevant descriptive literature and especially the Sowerby description or tried to examine types if any.

Yours,

John