Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2008 22:07:09 -0600
7bit
From:
"Martin H. Eastburn" <[log in to unmask]>
That is a bit fantastic.
It is discouraging to see this stuff and it building.  Where is the
massive fishing fleet when they could net this up and haul it to be
taken care of properly.  It looks simple enough - but there is a lot
of work after 40 or more years of ignoring it.

Several points were lost.

1. massive fishing fleets dumping nets and when they break - leave them.

2. container ships that loose cargo or themselves with house size cargo
of shoes, purses, belts and everything that is sold.

Scientists have tracked shoes and little duckies around the
pacific charting the currents.  University of Washington IIRC.

A lot of sources other then the diatribe on the oil derricks and beaches.

Remember there were a number of horrendous tidal events that wipe this
stuff and everything out of towns.  Once in the ocean it flows with
the flow.

Science is to look and explore and see what is there.
I don't think a scientific evaluation has been done.  And to the solution ?

Thanks for the heads up!  What is the UN doing about this ?  Noting I bet.

Martin

Karlynn Morgan wrote:
> http://www.oskarlewis.com/weblog/archives/5473
>
> Very interesting article on plastics pollution of the seas (and
> everywhere else!)
>
> Karlynn
> North Carolina USA

> click leave the list.