Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 2008 12:53:12 -0600
7bit
From:
Thomas Eichhorst <[log in to unmask]>
Looks like Neritina pulligera (Linnaeus, 1767) to me.  The orange aperture
with the black parietal shelf (the area on the underside of the of the snail
opposite the aperture) are pretty distinctive.  It is a very wide-spread and
common species in brackish and freshwater throughout much of the
Indo-Pacific.  It is one of the larger nerites with specimens commonly found
in the 20 to 30mm size range.  The world record size is 43mm.  It should do
well in an aquarium, but it will not be able to reproduce as the newly
hatched veligers need a short period in salt water to develop prior to
settling to the substrate and crawling back into freshwater.

Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico, USA