Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 2008 17:07:31 -0400
From:
Jim Miller <[log in to unmask]>
8bit
Sender:
Hi Andrew,

With a digital SLR, what you see on the LCD comes directly through
the lens, so if the image is sharp, there's something else going on.
Are you using a good flash? With a quality strobe and even a simple
aluminum foil reflector, you can shoot at f-strops as small as f8 or
f16, thus assuring a good depth of field. I have an older Nikon 8700
and the photos are crisp and clear. A D80 should do even better. I
use my reading glasses when viewing the LCD and in general, never
have to go beyond autofocus except when shooting micros (which I stay
away from anyhow). All things considered, I'm shocked that you'd find
a D80 image unacceptable. I'd be happy to trade cameras with you. If
you go back and look at all the photos I shot for American
Conchologist, they were all shot with the 8700 except for the
earliest which were shot with a 2 megapixel Epson, yet even those
images were quite sharp.

Best regards,
Jim