Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Aug 2008 10:51:07 -0400
7bit
From:
mike gray <[log in to unmask]>
Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

> It is easier to strip down subway cars than aircraft carriers.  But both
> are being used that way.
>
> Perhaps on the carrier - a long term storage of steel.  Just in case.
> But useful in the meantime.
>
> I think the show I saw on the Carrier - it took years to strip it and cut
> holes everywhere to let out air.
>
> Martin
>
> Jordan Star wrote:
>
>> Hello
>> I heard on the news that old subway cars (in England, the Tube) are
>> being sunk off New Jersey, Delaware, and Maryland to make artificial
>> reefs.
>>
>> Jordan Star

The old subway cars are from the New York system.

With the price of scrap so low, it's cheaper to clean the trash and dump
it in the ocean than to recycle it. There is evidence that the leaching
metals stimulate algae and cyanobacteria growth.

We are currently working to recover 2,000,000 old tires dumped a mile
off Ft. Lauderdale. It will take years, and cost (depending on whose
eatimate you like) up to $34 million. It seemed like a great idea at the
time, is the excuse, although everyone has always known that nothing
grows in, on, or around an old tire.

Preservation of existing reefs is a very low priority, creation of
"artificial reefs" is another way of justifying dumping our trash in the
ocean.