Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Nov 2008 21:00:44 -0500
7bit
From:
"Martin H. Eastburn" <[log in to unmask]>
I remember the bang sticks - used a shot gun cartridge.  We had a few on
Kwajalein
in the 60's while I was there.  From what I gathered, I wasn't a tank
guy but snorkel type,
was that after so many non-use dives they held them on the landing craft
with the
reserve diver - a.k.a. the guy to save someone.  I think they took them
when diving
in the channels through the wall or ring of coral forming the islands.
Two deep
channels allowed ships and subs to come and go in most weather.  Deep
and wide.
Having ships come, they might bring deep ocean sharks and have them
follow down
the trench in the lagoon on the way to the docs.  I never heard of one
getting
to the docs or being in the lagoon.  But my time there was limited - oh
so limited
more than I had wanted or planned.  Narrow cuts are for PT boats or
native ones.

If you have Google Earth Kwaj is listed - and the channels are mid up
atoll half
way north on the east and west sides.  Mech is the island just south of
the opening.
You can see slotting has been done to keep it clean for even the small
ships that come.

If you zoom into the island just north - you can see the density (very,
very) of tree
coverage on the island.  The white coral beach with palm tree shadows
and pandanas (sp)
the large fruit tree that has sweet ends on the pineapple like fruit.

Martin

--
Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/