Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Nov 2008 15:26:08 -0500
7bit
From:
mike gray <[log in to unmask]>
Stemke Douglas wrote:

> I did have a Bull shark off Key Largo make some very aggressive moves on
> me. It was my very first time snorkeling and I was splashing a lot more
> than I should to get water out of my snorkel/mask The snorkeling leader
> told me at the time was because I was wearing 'Yum-yum yellow' swim
> fins.  For better or worse I replaced the fins.

The "yum-yum yellow" thing was started by Sylvia Earle early in her
career at the Cape Haze Marine Laboratory. She soon after produced
research disproving her earlier claim, but it stuck and you do hear of
it even today. The bull was most likely attracted  by your thrashing,
not a good thing to do on the surface.

For a lot of interesting data on actual shark attacks, see the
International Shark Attack File Statistics of Shark Attacks:
http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/statistics/statistics.htm#divers