Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Nov 2008 13:55:06 -0600
7bit
From:
David Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
> Nobody came to the door dressed up as a mollusk, mores the pity. Wouldn't a
> chambered nautilus make a hellluva fine costume? Or a squid, or a clam. I
> think a dandy costume for an adult would be Aphrodite on the half shell.

Aphrodite is actually an annelid, but Venus and Astarte are bivalves,
of course.  Apparently Linnaeus translated several
anatomically-related names used by sailors and fishermen into Latin,
but there's not even that excuse for Meretrix lamarcki or Sinanodona
calipygos (neither described by Linnaeus).

There are also some common names that might inspire costumes-fuzzy
pigtoe, flapping dingbat, etc.

I've seen a fair number of nurse sharks and one large bull shark while
snorkeling, but the only somewhat close encounter with hazardous fish
was a lionfish that showed off its spines at me.

--
Dr. David Campbell
425 Scientific Collections