Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2008 14:24:53 -0600
7bit
From:
"Martin H. Eastburn" <[log in to unmask]>
http://astro.u-strasbg.fr/~koppen/discharge/

This site gives an insight (no pun intended) into the color of various
chemicals.
Mercury is on the bottom of the list.  The lines are emission lines -
those that we see if
our eyes could see the whole spectrum.  We lack UV and the low reds of
heating.

I didn't see the traditional sodium (yellow doublets) or that of the
high pressure RED used in
parking lots.  The high pressure is on my bad list since it is a wide
spectral noise source.

I filter this with my telescope to see objects in deep space.  The high
pressure is almost
a lost cause.  Yellow is easy, people don't like the color shift.

Hope the site and the description of the two parking lot bulbs helps in
understanding.
GE had some good information - some years ago - in the lighting area.
Technical data
on the bulbs might be available.

The color or wave length is due to the electron(s) moving from shell to
shell.  Some impart more
energy than others and force more of that wavelength to be produced.
Add electrical energy and it
in turn gives back energy in the form of light.

Martin

--
Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/