Sender:
From:
Carlo Maccà <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 2008 11:43:09 +0100
Daer David,
if your co-worker has followed the most frequently received suggestions, her
favorite dress is definitely spoiled!
Slug slime is most reasonably a proteic substance.
Bleach (sodium hypochlorite in basic solution, i.e. chlorine in strong
sodium hydroxide or soda lime) will destroy it, as well as tissue fibers and
colours,  even when diluted.
Strong acids, like hydrochloric acid, even when diluted can damage the
fibers, depending on their nature.
Softer acetic acid will be ineffectwe in the better instance; most probably,
it will worsen the result, because its action will denaturate the protein,
practically making it insoluble. The last effect can also result from action
of weakly basic substances, like those contained in  regular detergents and
hand soap: this can explain the "patch like acrylic".
Stronger bases, like sodium carbonate, can perhaps break some chemical bonds
in the proteic substance, making it better soluble (try ethanol or
isopropanol); however, they can damage some kind of fiber.
Sodium bicarbonate does harm neither fibers, nor proteins. Keep it to
neutralize stomach acidity.
The election agent to remove protein stains is pepsine, an enzyme that
specifically attacks proteic substance. It acts better at moderately acid
pH. It is very selective; generally, it shoud not affect non-proteic
substances, like colorants and most tissues. I presume that it can also used
with protein-related fibers, like wool and some synthetics, only avoiding
long contact times. A good drugstore should  possibly provide suitable,
ready for use pepsin-containing products, buffered at the optimum action pH.
Good luck.
Carlo