Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jun 2009 16:18:16 -0700
7bit
From:
Bert Bartleson <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Doug, if you haven't visited the Pacific Northwest Shell Club [PNWSC]
website I think that you will find lots of useful information there.  Many
of the beaches in Northern Oregon are sandy and you will see few mollusk
shells on the beach. But they are beautiful and well worth a visit anyway.
The Yachats area or Canon Beach both are great areas to see. Any beaches
that have intertidal rocks will be somewhat better. If you want to have a
great time in Washington I would suggest Pt. Washington Narrows in Kitsap
County [near Bremerton].  This site is listed with a map on the PNWSC
website. It has all kinds of good mollusks plus lots of interesting sea
stars and crabs that a five year old will love to see and play with.  We
also have tide tables and if you can coordinate your trip with a minus tide
it will be better.  Tongue Point [Salt Creek County Park] about 15 miles
West of Pt. Angeles is a marine reserve but also a great place to visit the
intertidal.  No collecting of shells is allowed there.  If you have more
questions contact me off list and I will try to help you.  Bert Bartleson,
Olympia WA, President PNWSC