Sender:
From:
"Harry G. Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jul 2009 18:50:00 -0400
Pete, Phil, (Andrew for the footnote), and group,

There is an extensive and fairly* accurate account of the Crown Conch
at <http://www.sms.si.edu/irlspec/Melongena_corona.htm>. It appears
that the molecular genetics data, based on an unpublished Master's Thesis:

<http://kong.lib.usf.edu:8881/R/JRUB3Q7N19Q795HQED1RT27GHCLFDK5APUSTXIXD2LBU4HCC7X-00001?func=dbin-jump-full&object_id=71463&local_base=GEN01&pds_handle=GUEST>

do not support the popular (e.g., Abbott, 1974) taxonomy, but there
is restricted gene flow among certain populations, as one might
expect from a species living in backwaters and producing young which
crawl away upon hatching. However, as demonstrated at <>, similar
conchological morphs appear in a haphazard zoogeographic pattern.

Harry

* to quote (under II. HABITAT AND DISTRIBUTION): "Melongena corona is
a tropical to subtropical species occurring on both coasts of the
Florida peninsula, eastern Alabama, and throughout much of the West
Indies south to South America." The writer must have confused the
Caribbean species Melongena melongena (Linnaeus, 1758), the West
Indian Crown Conch, which, unlike the populations we've discussed, is
unequivocally a distinct biospecies, with the Crown Conch, Melongena
corona (Gmelin, 1791). M. melongena is the type of Melongena
Schumacher, 1817 (monotypy), and M. corona is usually placed in
Rexmela Olsson and Harbison (1953: 213; not in index; type species:
Melongena subcorona Heilprin, 1886 of the Florida Pliocene, by
original designation).