Sender:
From:
"Sarah R. Watson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Oct 1998 19:42:02 EDT
I discussed the matter with my Evolutionary Bio prof and he had some
interesting things to throw in. These Hybrids may actually not be hybrids at
all. They would be classified as a hybrid if tha parent species mated but
produced sterile offspring. Meaning that the speciman would have to be
sterile. Since many hard bodied animals are collected without any data such as
if the speciman has reproduced then it remains a mystery. One of the probelms
in determining this is that many species are named on apperence alone when
they may actually be a variety. A species is classified as being able to mate
with another and produce fertile offspring. THe only way to know is to find
out if that animal was infact fertile. If it wasn't then it is most likely a
hybrid. But if it is then that means that the two parents must be the same
species. In the case of say tigris and lynx Maybe there are just extreme
morpholgical differences but in fact they really are the same species. They
may be classified as perhaps different species but should be at the most
subspecies or varieties.

(please excuse me if I just repeated what someone else said.. I just got home
and I am going down the line of 150 emails. Thank god I don't pay an arm and a
leg for online access ... Mommy does  HAHAHAHA)

Sarah Watson
Silver SPring MD
http://www.geocities.com/Southbeach/Tidepool/8845