Sender:
From:
worldwide <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Sep 2009 15:12:24 -0400
Paul,

Here's what I wrote in the Conchologists of America Bulletin, March
1981, No. 23, pg.10-11  ...

"...Winner of the COA Grand Trophy at the 17th Annual Broward Shell
Show was Neil Hepler with his exhibit entitled "Janthina - The Violet
Snails and Its Pelagic Associates."  Neil entered his exhibit in the
Educational category where it also won a Blue Ribbon.

The exhibit consists of five cases with a display length of 14
feet.  Emphasis in the display is on the Oviviporus and Viviporus
recognized species of the genus, and includes information on the
history, distribution, propagation, eggs, egg capsules, color, food,
feeding, predators, survival, bubble float, and pelagic associates.

Neil's exhibit also won Blue Ribbons in the Educational Categories at
the Greater Miami, Palm Beach and Sanibel Shell Shows this year ,
along with other special honors.  He is also a past recipient of a
COA Grand Trophy in 1979 for his highly praised exhibit, "The
Chambered Nautilus," which now resides at the Delaware Museum of
Natural History.  ..."

The article goes on to quote Neil about how he got started collecting
shells.  A photo of Neil standing by the exhibit at Broward by
William McGee also appears with the article.

Being that the exhibit won numerous awards in 1981, one might have to
assume it was the year he inaugurated the exhibit.  Let me know if
you need a scan of the article.

Rich
www.worldwideconchology.com